Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Jeff Brewer, Cool Rockets, and One Simple Act of Kindness

------------------------------Little Ethel Merman
Hello Friends,

You know, Tracy has had a tough time lately. She lost her mother a couple of years ago, her fathers fighting with cancer, and all the problems that go along with living with me. Not to mention the day to day crap that we all have to deal with. But you know, it's funny how one simple act of kindness can make all off that disappear for while.

Our house is decorated kinda contemporary (I think it's contemporary, but I'm not to hip on interior decorating lingo) Anyway, our house is decorated with rockets and robots. A couple of weeks ago Tracy and I just got home from somewhere
when she noticed that Little Ethel Merman (who, by the way, is a boy pussycat) was acting guilty. So she went looking around the house. She stopped looking when she got to the dining room. What she found was that LEM had jumped off the kitchen table and knocked some shelves off the wall. She also found her three 'Cool Rockets' I had bought her, smashed to smithereens on the floor. She tried to glue them back together...she glued them back together...they were doomed. I was never sure if she really liked the 'Cool Rockets' cause Tracy is a NASA girl, the Saturn V , Redstone, and SR-71 are her cup-o-tea. 'Cool Rockets' are more like 1950's sci-fi, comic book rockets. After her seeing them all mashed, I could tell that she really liked them. She was very upset.

'Cool Rockets' are the creations of a cat named Jeff Brewer. Besides being an artist extraordinaire, Jeff works as a model maker for the film and commerical television industry. His film credits include, Nightmare Before Christmas - Men in Black - James and The Giant Peach - Starship Troopers - Star Trek VIII-First Contact - Star Wars Episode I - Pearl Harbor, and so on and so forth.

So, a few days after the big crash of 2010, I ordered her a new rocket from his website. I wrote the story about how I found out she liked the rockets in a comment box strategically placed on the site. And guess what? I get an e-mail from Jeff Brewer himself. He gave his condolence's, said he was a dog person, and that he would mail her rocket that day. How cool was that? Mr. bigity big shot Hollywood model man sent me a personal e-mail. Pretty cool I think.

Now, a couple of days ago Tracy calls me from her office and tells me that she got rockets in the mail (that's where I had it sent) and that she loves them both. Both? I only ordered one rocket, see it seems that Jeff sent her a rocket to go with the one I ordered. Why? I guess because Jeff Brewer is one bad ass dude, that's why. Now, I didn't tell Tracy that cause I wanted it to look like I bought her two, cause two rockets are always better than one rocket....Kidding, kidding, I'm pullin' your leg. I told her all about the e-mail and Jeff's response. She is very happy.

Let me ask you friends, who does that? Jeff sent her an $80.00 dollar rocket for nothin'. Out of the goodness of his Hollywood heart. Who does that kind of thing? Nobody that's who. Except for Jeff Brewer......and Tracy. Remember the story I wrote about the little African kid and the clothes she bought for him or her donating two turkeys instead of one at Thanksgiving, or buying all those cleaning supplies for the homeless family that got a home, or scrounging up a VCR for the DHS kids who had a bunch of old tapes donated to them, or giving the homeless guy ten bucks instead of one dollar, or a million other stories about her I could tell? Charity stories, damn it, charity stories (I tell the other stories too, but this ain't the time or the place)

I have always said that I don't believe that what goes around, comes around, but Jeff Brewer has proven me wrong with one simple act of kindness.

So, go to his web site and buy somethin', or at least go look around, then buy somethin'. There are some pretty cool rockets there. And while your lookin' around, remember what a swingin' cat Jeff Brewer is and the very nice thing he did for my gal.

Thanks, Jeff. Thanks for more than you know.


Here is some rocket junk.




Adios
~e~

PS The three rockets pictured above are like the one's Little Ethel Merman busted. And I'm pretty sure Jeff has records of the stuff people have bought from the 'Cool Rockets' website, so don't any of you jackasses go writin' him letters about how your pet spider monkey chewed the fin of your 'Space Tub' and you want a free one, for Christs sake. He won't fall for it. Trust me, he won't.

No comments: